Lettuce is one of the healthiest foods put on this planet. This green leafy vegetable contains many health benefits, which includes maintaining normal blood sugar levels, fighting off inflammation, reducing the risk of heart disease and helping people lose weight. There are many varieties of lettuce available, such as Romaine, Chinese, crisp head, butterhead and summer crisp.
Romaine lettuce has twice the protein, three times Vitamin K, four times iron, eight times Vitamin C and 17 times Vitamin A more than the Iceberg lettuce. Choose the Romain variety to reap multitude of health benefits. Besides, no salad is complete without a few slices of this green leafy vegetable.
1) Whole Life Food – Lettuce is almost always consumed raw, which gives us more micronutrients that would be dissolved during the cooking process. Just make sure you wash the leaves thoroughly to get rid of any lingering chemicals and bacteria.
2) Good for Your Heart – Romaine lettuce is considered to be one of the healthiest foods you can consume. Romaine lettuce is a rich source of Vitamin C and beta-carotene, which helps lower blood pressure, combats any plaque build-up in the heart and minimises risks for heart disease.
3) Helps Promote Weight Loss – The high amount of fibre contained in the green leafy vegetable helps promote healthy digestion and aids in weight loss. Lettuce is also very filling, which eliminates any hunger pangs in the middle of the night.
4) Low Calorie Content – 1 cup of chopped Iceberg lettuce contains approximately 15 calories and zero fat. The low-calorie content makes it an ideal snack to munch on throughout the day or whenever you’re feeling a little hungry.
5) Fights Insomnia – A crisp bowl of Iceberg lettuce can help you fall asleep much easier at night. Lettuce contains Niacin, which is involved in serotonin synthesis which in turn induces pleasant dreams.
6) Great Source of Protein – Romaine lettuce is 20 percent protein, ideal for repairing damaged muscle tissues and preventing inflammation. You can increase the protein intake by eating the Romaine lettuce with beans, meats and assorted dairy products.
7) Low Glycemic Index – The GI Index is a measurement carried out on carbohydrate filled foods and their impact on blood sugar levels. Foods that are low in glycemic index, significantly reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, stroke and cardiovascular disease. Lettuce contains a GI level lower than 15.
8) It’s Delicious – The crisp and juicy taste of lettuce makes a refreshing snack during the hot summer days or when you’re feeling a bit dehydrated. Lettuce can enhance the flavour of any ordinary turkey, chicken or tuna sandwich. Simply put, lettuce tastes delicious.
9) Rich in Omega 3 – Romain lettuce has a phenomenal 1:2 ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids, which helps treat such diseases like Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer’s and Asthma. The omega-3 fatty acids also prevent blood clotting and promotes a healthy heart.
10) Lettuce is Alkaline Forming – The Alkaline minerals contained in lettuce help flush out harmful toxins from your body, sharpens your memory, cleanses your pores and gives you a quick boost of energy when you’re feeling a bit drowsy.