Monsoons calls not just for care of skin and hair but also about what you eat. Herbal drinks made with ingredients available in the Indian kitchen can help you stay away from bad health conditions.
Below are the list of some herbal drinks that can improve your health during monsoons.
* Golden milk: This relaxing drink which is rich in antioxidants will help to build up immunity, bring down inflammation and reduce protein and fluid loss from the body.
Preparation: Boil milk and water in 1:1 ratio. Add a pinch of turmeric, nutmeg, black pepper powder and 2-3 strands of saffron. Let it simmer until it is reduced to half its quantity. Add jaggery for taste and have it either hot or warm.
* Kashaya: This is an Ayurvedic drink that helps in decongestion and clearing sinuses. It’s anti-bacterial properties helps to boost immunity.
Preparation: This Kashaya powder can be made by roasting dry coriander, cumin and fennel seeds in 4:2:1 ratio. To this mixture we can add one tablespoon black peppercorn seeds. These should be ground to a fine powder and stored in an airtight jar. The drink can be made by boiling a glass of water to which one teaspoon of this Kashaya powder can be added along with one teaspoon of grated jaggery. Strain and drink it hot.
* Peppermint tea: Having this tea can help to boost your health. It helps to improve digestion, reduce pain, eliminate inflammation, relax the body and mind, cure bad breath, aid in weight loss, and boost the immunity system.
Preparation: Boil two cups of water, let it sit for 3-4 minutes and heat two-three cups of water separately and add crushed mint leaves. Combine the two waters and drink.
* Fennel and Carom potion: As per Ayurveda, fennel seeds possess ‘Agnikrut’ qualities — that which improves digestive strength. Carom seeds are rich in essential oils, phytochemicals, minerals like copper that help treat dysentery or diarrhoea, stomach infections, nausea that are typical of rainy season.
Preparation: Add one teaspoon each of fennel (saunf) and carom (ajwain) seeds to boiling water and let it simmer for some time. Remove from flame and add honey to it. Drink this hot after your meal.
* Rose and Honey tea: This is again good for developing immunity in a person as it is a good source of Vitamin C which in turn safeguards you from various health conditions. It also helps to combat infections that come during the monsoon season. It is good for curing sore throat and diarrhoea which are common in monsoon.
Preparation: Put few rose petals in boiling water. Allow it to remain like that for a few seconds. Now, turn off the gas until the colour of the petal gets infused into the water. Strain, add honey and drink.