World Milk Day is observed every year on June 1. The theme of the World Milk Day this year is “Drink Milk: Today and Every day.” World Milk Day is intended to provide an opportunity to bring attention to the activities that are connected with the dairy sector. World Milk Day was established in 2001 by the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nation to recognise the importance of milk as a global food.
Every year new countries join along to mark their celebrations and in 2018, over 586 events were held in 72 countries. Various campaigns are organised which highlight the importance of milk for the overall health of a person. It also raises awareness of dairy’s part in healthy diets, responsible food production, and supporting livelihoods and communities. The events publicize the activities of milk industries around the world.
Objective of the day
- To provide information about the need and importance of milk in a human being’s life.
- Various activities are organized on this day to raise awareness about milk and milk products.
- To celebrate the contribution of milk and dairy products in several industries, the economy and people’s lives.
- To educate people about the nutrients present in the milk like calcium, protein, vitamin B2, potassium, iodine, etc.
- Several promotional activities about milk and its importance are launched by the International Dairy Federation on its website online.
Here are some facts on how milk should be consumed
- Milk should never be had right out of the refrigerator. It is good to always boil milk before consumption.
- Heating the milk makes it more digestible and easier for consumption as it changes its molecular structure.
- Adding a pinch of ground turmeric or black pepper, cinnamon stick, ginger or cardamom with warm milk reduces the heaviness of the milk and any mucus-causing side effect.
- Milk consumed with curd or salt or meat is bad combination. It is better to team it up with almonds, rice or dates.
- The quality of milk greatly depends on the way the cattle are treated. It is always better to buy milk from companies that treat their animals well and feed them organically.
- Support local cattle farmers who treat the cattle with reverence and feed them right.
Tricks to get your child to drink milk without fuss
- Develop your child’s taste for milk
If your child does not like to drink milk, you can opt for some dairy-based alternative foods like yogurt and cheese. Your child will get the required nutrition and may gradually develop a taste for milk too.
- Try milkshakes
Instead of plain milk, you can make your child drink milk in the form of milkshakes and smoothies in a variety of flavours he or she likes.
- Tweak the taste of milk
If your child doesnot like the smell of milk, you can tweak the taste a little bit by adding vanilla essence or some mixes.
- Get a personalized mug
You can encourage your child by getting him or her a quirky personal mug and straws and reserve its use for drinking milk only.
- Start with small quantities
To develop the taste, start giving milk in small quantities first and focus on getting your child to drink it all. You can increase the quantity of milk gradually.
- Play games
You can play some drinking games with your child to encourage him or her.
- Teach by example
Join your child in drinking milk for a few days. This will motivate them further.
Enjoy your milk. Happy Milk Day!
- Ayurveda & Health Tourism