Shalya Tantra is a branch of Ayurveda that can be translated to modern day surgery. It is a study that is learnt and practiced by only a few people. Dr. Sharad Kulkarni is one among the rare few. He received his first professional award in Ayurveda in November 2018 for the Best Young Researcher in Shalya Tantra. He was just 29 years old then. From then on there was no looking back for this young man. He went on to receive several awards and titles. He also authored a book named – The Blockbuster Health, that talks about good eating habits. This was a best-selling book on Amazon. Apart from treating and curing ailments, Dr. Sharad is also an influential speaker on healthcare. He is also good in nidana panchaka and chikitsa. His approach to a case and its diagnosis is mainly by clinical examination which is later followed by investigations that are recommendable. He is an expert in handling the medical and surgical equipment. He is an active speaker on health and is very visible on various digital platforms like YouTube. He has published many research articles and blogs online. He holds live facebook video sessions and has the high number of positive patient feedbacks on practo.com.
He is also well-known for his efforts in digitizing Ayurveda – Yoga (digital propagation of Ayurveda-Yoga for global wellness), building a healthy society through social awareness, helping/guiding the needy in maintaining good health and to keep away from health-related sufferings, ensuring healing without the use of medicine but through diet and lifestyle corrections. Dr. Sharad Kulkarni is one of the youngest Ayurveda doctors, who was invited to speak on Ayurveda in London, UK.
Dr. Sharad Kulkarni has completed his masters in Shalya Tantra or Surgery and is currently a Research Scholar in Ayurvedic Surgery. He is the founder and CEO of Jeevottama Health, which is an Ayurveda Center in Bangalore.
Our publication, caught up with him to understand the nuances of Ayurveda, especially Shalya Tantra.
1) When people especially youngsters are running to establish a career in the software or IT industry, what motivated you to stay apart and choose Ayurveda Shalya Tantra as your profession?
Call it a choice or choice with co-incidence. Since my schooling days I was fascinated by natural healing. May be this grew up along with me and thus I entered the field.
2) As an expert in this field, how do you think surgery in Ayurveda will help the future generation?
There are few surgical concepts in Ayurveda which are still in practice with statistically good results. Ksharasutra, Agnikarma tops the list. Technology is vast, so as its application in medical system. With proper conglomeration of technology and Ayurveda one can expect good preventive and curative approach to many diseases.
3) Could you mention some of the few surgical/parasurgical procedures in Ayurveda that can be done successfully?
- Ksharasutra in Fistula in ano, Pilonidal Sinus, Hemorrhoids
- Kshara application in Piles, Rectal prolapse etc
- Bloodletting/Leech therapy in non healing ulcer, skin diseases
- Agnikarma in skin tags, warts, Anal fissure, Piles, Fistula in ano
4) How effective is Ayurveda surgery over modern surgery?
- Day Case surgery
- Zero recurrence rates reported if procedure performed methodically
- Cost effective
- Unaffected routine
5) What do you think is the future of Ayurveda Shalya Tantra?
Genuine concepts of Ayurveda surgery if practiced along with the use of modern technological advancements establishing evidence based medicine, then there is a good future for Ayurveda Shalya Tantra.
You can reach him at: