In the modern world, people suffer a lot of physical and mental concerns. Some of these issues start as mere physical ailments and end up in mental illness or vice versa too when left untreated or treated wrongly.Sinusitis is one such medical issue that makes people suffer both mentally and physically. Here, Dr.Hiroshini Pererra details how this choker disease, that equally affects the mind and body, can be treated with the help of Ayurveda.
A Sinus is a hollow space in the body specially connected with the bone part of the body. The different types of sinus in our body include:-
- Frontal sinus
- Ethmoidal sinus
- Maxillary sinus
- Sphenoidal sinus
These are the para-nasal sinuses that cause the condition of sinusitis. Sinusitis is a type of inflammation or swelling of the tissues lining the sinuses.
What causes sinus blocks
- the common cold
- Allergic rhinitis – swelling of the lining of the Nose.
- Nasal polyps
- Deviated nasal septum
- Immune system deficiency
- Smokey environment
- Kids live in day care / kindergarten
Types of sinusitis
- Acute sinusitis – sudden onset, 2-4 week take care.
- Sub-acute sinusitis- 4-12 weeks.
- Chronic sinusitis– 12 weeks or longer
- Recurrent sinusitis – several times per year
Acute sinusitis symptoms
- Facial pain or pressure
- Runny nose
- Loss of smell
- Nasal discharge – thick, green or yellow nasal discharge
- Reduced sense of smell
- Cough often worse at night.
Related symptoms and signs
- Poor sense of smell
- Sore throat
- Bad breath
- Dental pain
Ayurvedic view of sinusitis
Ayurvedic texts donot describe sinusitis as a disease. But some Ayurveda vaidyastalk of a disease that is similar to sinusitis.
“Peenas Roga” “Apeenasa Roga” and “DushtaPratishyaya” are conditions that are similar to sinusitis. In SushruthaSamhita, “PratishyayaPratishedh” or “Pratishaya” is described as a condition that is similar to the chronic stages of sinusitis. It is also described as a complication of a different type of “pratishyaya”.
ApeenasRogais caused by vitiated Vata and Kapha dosha. Here, the patient complaints of the below problems:-
- Block of nasal cavity or nostril
- Very dry nostril
- Doesn’t feel any smell
Pratishyayais caused by Vata, Pitta or Kapha dosha relating with or without nasal discharge.Peenas is a stage that results from Pratishyaya.“DushtaPratishyaya” is chronic stage of sinusitis symptoms and is also described as a complication of different type s of Pratishyaya.“Pratishayaya” is caused by the patient’s improper dietary and behavioural habits. This, if left unmanaged, can lead to several complicated conditions.
Complication of Pratishyaya
- Badhirya – deafness
- Andhata – blindness
- Ghrananasa – anosmia
Causes [Nidana] According to Ayurveda
- Nari prasanga- Excessive sexual activity.
- Shirashabhitapam – Excessive heat
- Dhum – Smoke
- Rajah – Dust, Pollen, Environment pollution
- Shitamatipratap –Exposure to excessive cold
- Mutrapurishasandharanam – Forceful retention of the urge of urination and defecation
Similar symptoms as sinusitis explain Kaphaja Shiro roga, Krimija Shiro roga, Sannipata Shiro roga, Ardhavabhedaka and Suryavartha.
Headache is compared to migraine but the symptoms are related with sinusitis.Headache starts on one side of the head initially and later spreads to become bilateral or generalized.Aggravated Vata or a combination with morbid Kapha causes of Ardhavabhedaka.
Symptoms of Ardhavabhedaka
- Ardha bhaga shuk – Pain in one portion of the head
- Ativedana- Severe pain in Manya [neck side], Bhru [eye brow], Shanka [temple area], Karna [ear], Akshi [eye], Lalata [forehead]
- Nayana Vinasha – Destruction of eye sight
- Shrotra vinasha- Destruction of hearing ability
Headache is explained in Ayurveda with clinical feature of sinusitis or sub-acute sinusitis.
Symptoms of Suryavartha
- Headache follows with the sun
- Sunrise – mild pain head, eyes and eye brows
Mid noon – pain increases gradually
Sun set- pain decreases
- Pain relief with hot touch –not always
Ayurvedic Treatment of Sinusitis. –
- Removing or avoiding the causative factors.
- Controlling or eliminating the source of inflammation.
- Relieving the symptoms.
- Drainage the Nasal passage.
- Improve general and local nasal immunity.
My experience in treating Sinusitis
I treat a lot of sinusitis patients and it has been very successful. Therefore, I would like to share my practical experience with you.
More than 50 percentof my patients suffer different types of sinusitis for more than 2 to 4 years. I give my patients both internal and external treatment.
According to their history, signs and symptoms, prakurthithe internal medicine prescribed also changes.
My internal treatment protocol
- Traditional herbal decoctions-
- Shrsheta nimbha Kashaya.
[ Terminalia chebula, Terminalia bellirica ,Phyllantus embelica, Azadirachta indica, Curcuma longa, Becopa monnieri, Cassia senna, Tinospora cordifolia]
- Prathyakasha dhatree Kashaya.
[Terminalia chebula, Pyhllantus embelica, Munronia pinnata, Acorus calamus,Azadirachata indica, Tinospora cordifolia]
- Dharu parpata Kashaya
[Terminalia chebula, Cedrus deodara, Hedytis deodara, Premna herbacea,Cyperus rotundus,Acorus colamus, Coriandrum sativam, Zingiber officinale, Munronia pinnata]
- Ayurvedic Herbal powder
- Avipaththikara choorna
- Hinguwashta choorna
- Tripala choorna
- Dathree choorna
- Ayurvedic herbal pills.
- Seetharama vati
- Chandra praba vati
External Treatment are as below:-
- Nirgundee oil – 20 min to 45 min, gravel onset, 3 days to 7 days
- Inhalation treatment
- Vitex negundo, Aegle marmelos, leaves boil water.
3.Face massage- Nirgundiee oil
- Face formantation – herbal leaves pad
[Allium cepa, Vitex negundo, Desmodium triflorum]
- Nasya treatment
- Nirgundee oil / Anu oil- 3days to 14 days.
I use common medicines and oil for my treatment. All patients follow guidelines regarding their food and behaviours. Because food and behaviours play important role in this treatment.
I also recommended to continue medicine and food for the next 3-4 weeks after treatment on their own at home.
After the treatment procedures, most of the patients (about 70%) totally stop their painkillers and continue with normal life-style.
Thus, Ayurveda is highly recommended for treatment of those suffering from sinusitis.