AMALAKI – GIFT OF MOTHER NATURE
Wellness or healthy life is a need of each and every person in this world. Ayurveda is the only branch which provides various detailed treatments to achieve better health and also to maintain the healthy status. A special branch of Ayurveda called Rasyana therapy is especially dedicated to prevent the body from any disease. Not only that, it also helps to keep the body young and healthy for a very long time.
In Rasayana therapy, multiple tools and treatments are practiced, including specific diet and regimen. Ayurveda, specifies some food preparations and natural fruits which are very easily available all over the globe. Some of these fruits and food items have a very potent Rasayana effect. One of such kind of fruit is AMALAKI.
Amalaki can truly be called as an amazing gift from Mother Nature to humans. It is also known as Indian gooseberry. Its scientific or Latin name is Embilicaofficinalis which belongs to the family Euphorbiaceae.
Ayurveda states that this fruit should be consumed daily for a healthy body. The best thing about this fruit is that, it can be consumed fresh, dried or powdered. In any of the above said form, it is definite to show its magical effect on the body.
Amalaki shows its beneficial effect on almost all physiological systems of the human body. Nutritional analysis of Amalakai fruit is shown below:-
|Nutrient||Value per 100 g|
|Total fat||0.5 g|
|Total carbohydrate||10 g|
Amalaki can also be used as a drug in daily diet, as a medicinal drug, nutritive supplement and also in the form of a sweet dish (Amalamurabba – an Indian traditional sweet). These diverse uses of Amalaki make it a more consumable food item.
What Ayurveda says about Amalaki health benefits???
Below is a list of uses of Amalaki mentioned in Ayurveda;
- It helps to maintain natural balance of Tridosha (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) of the body.
- The powder of Amalaki fruit is mixed with water and used externally in burning sensation.
- Also the same paste is very much beneficial for any sort of Hair problems.
- Water treated with Amalaki is used to wash eyes. Prolonged application will help to improve eyesight and overall performance of eyes.
- Amalaki powder, if consumed daily, will surely improve the intellectual power. Also it strengthens the process of neuro-transmission in the body.
- It is also mentioned that persistent consumption of the powder will expand the ability of all indriyas (eyesight, ears, skin, tongue, nose, etc.) present in the human body.
- Amalaki fruits have shown miraculous effect on the digestive system. As it enhances appetite, along with eliminating the gastric trouble.
- Though it has a sour (slightly acidic) taste, it diminishes hyperacidity in the stomach.
- Along with the above effects on the stomach, it gives strength to the most important organ – Liver. It improves the Hepatic functionality and also recent studies have shown that it slowdowns the degeneration of fibrous Liver.
- Further this phenomenal fruits executes cardio-tonic effect also. Thus, it can be administered to cardiac patients without any distress!
- In consort with showing its effect on Liver, Amalaki shows blood purifying effect to a great extent.
- The powder of Amalaki is soaked in water for 24 hours. And then this water is used for washing the vagina – this will help tighten the vagina.
- It’s internal administration with cow’s milk at night will increase the quality and quantity of semen in men.
- Amalaki fruits purifies blood, also solves skin problems like Leucorrhea, Itching, rashes, etc.
- It is also beneficial during fever.
- In spite of showing all the above mentioned effects, its benefit extends to the Urinary system also. It shows diuretic effect and thus it is used in anuria, burning micturition and also in other urinary troubles.
- This magical fruit is used in headache or Migrane.
- It helps to maintain skin colour and complexion.
- Further, it is good for vertigo and indebility.
- Amalaki powder along with Yashtimadhu is used in Cough problems.
- Amalaki reduces blood sugar level, hence it should be given to diabetic patients.
- Amalaki contains good amount of anti-oxidants. This will show anti-ageing effect.
- Insomnia can also be treated with Amalaki containing medicines.
- Amalaki fruit along with curd helps in the treatment of bleeding piles.
- Amalaki juice with misri (sugar candy) will help in relieving vomiting and hiccough problems.
Recent found actions of Amalaki:
- It is an excellent source of Vitamin C.
- It supports food absorption.
- One of the less discussed benefits of Amla is how it helps the body absorb calcium in a positive way. Calcium is an essential component of our bones, teeth, and nails, and also ensures that we have beautiful lustrous hair.
- Some of the minerals and vitamins in Alma combine to make it very useful in the treatment of menstrual cramps. Since it takes a while for the necessary elements to accrue in the body, it is better to consume Alma on a regular basis, so it is always in the system and menstrual cramps can be prevented every month for women.
- Due to its antibacterial and astringent attributes, Indian Gooseberries protect the body against infection and improves the body’s immune response. They are also a very good source of vitamin C, which is famous for its impressive antioxidant abilities and its stimulation of the immune system. It increases the white blood cell count in the body, which is the main line of defense for the immune system, since white blood cells attack and eliminate foreign toxins and substances in the bloodstream and throughout the body.
Largely, Amalaki makes you look younger in old age by enhancing immune system. It cleanses toxins and hazardous chemicals from the blood or we can say body. Prolonged and daily use of Amalaki will make you feel fresh mentally, stronger physically and better physiologically. Ultimately, this Miraculous… Magical… Marvelous fruit – Amalaki is having Amrit (a supernatural liquid which is said to make one immortal) like properties. Thus, it can be said that Amalaki is a truly treasurable gift from Mother Nature.
Kunal M. Gohil, Sr. Lecturer, Dept. of R.S. & B.K., I.I.A.P.S., G.A.U., Jamnagar